WELL HELLO SUMMER!
It's that time of year for BBQ's, swimming in the sea, sunbathing in your back garden and summer cocktails, but all women know that alongside all the fun, a great swimwear wardrobe is essential.
It all started in the 18th Century when 'swimsuits' were invented mainly for the purpose of hiding women's bodies according to the morality of the times. This consisted of a belted dress over baggy pants, which then, gradually over the years, became less restrictive and heavy. Then in the 1940's the first bikini was invented by French Engineer, Louise Reard and first modeled by Micheline Bernardini - a French nude dancer from Casino de Paris.
In the 1950's women still continued to wear one-piece swimsuits rarely daring to wear the two piece bikini. The 50's saw retro style swimwear that resembled a beach corset in fashion. The invention of the bikini didn't pick up until the mid-60's, which then became skimpier in the top and skinnier straps. The 1980's saw Baywatch come to our TV screens, where the fashion then was the athletic sporty red one piece.
The adaptations of swimwear since then has given us women the choices we have today.
What body shape are you?
For centuries corsetry and clothing styles have determined what women should look like with the 'hourglass' silhouette being the ideal shape. Marilyn Monroe was considered to have the 'perfect' body in the 1950's, but what does it actually mean to have the 'perfect' body?
Knowing your body shape and wearing the most flattering swimwear for that shape will make you ooze with confidence and we believe here at Knicker Locker that confidence is the key!
So.........we have created the ultimate guide to help you choose your perfect swimwear!
Equally proportioned bust and hips and a small, defined waist.
CELEBRITY STYLIST - BLAKE LIVELY
- Matching bikini sets
- Retro swimwear - high waisted briefs and boxy halters
- Waist details and rouching
- Bandeau/strapless swimwear
Curvier at the hips, waist and thighs and a smaller bust.
CELEBRITY STYLIST - RIHANNA
- Eye-catching or padded/push-up bikini tops
- Plain bottoms with a patterned top
- Classic high-legged brief
- Bandeau top or asymmetrical swimsuit
Wider at the shoulders and the hips.
CELEBRITY STYLIST - JENNIFER HUDSON
- High-waisted briefs with bikini or tankini top
- Swimwear with ruching, gathers or shirring detail
- Wrap-around or cross-over fabric at the waist
The 'straight up and down' figure. Small bust and narrow hips and waist.
CELEBRITY STYLIST - NICOLE KIDMAN
- Padded tops and triangle bikinis
- Bold prints
- Ruching and ruffles
Fuller bust and broad shoulders with a slimmer waist and hips.
CELEBRITY STYLIST - RENEE ZELLWEGER
- Swimwear with bra sizes, underwires and adjustable straps
- Try swim dresses or brief skirts
- Mix and match bikini/tankini sets - plain bottoms, patterned top
DID YOU KNOW?
A recent survey of 1,000 British holidaymakers, by UK-based beach holiday specialist On the Beach revealed that more than half of women (51%) go for a bikini on the beach, however 27% still opt for the classic swimsuit style.
NEW BRAND ALERT!
Established in 2017, Pretty Mi is a British born designer swimwear brand by Michelle Pretty-Smith. After recognising a trend for less seasonal, trans-functional swimwear with a life after the beach, Michelle began her own label. Pretty Mi swimsuits, bikinis and beachwear are inspired by dreamy summer holiday destinations and conversational bespoke embroidery. Their swimwear is created from the highest quality long lasting luxury fabrics that will add value to your wardrobe. They use environmentally friendly print processes and are proud to manufacture in the UK.
The 'Eden Girls' swimwear collection is an irresistible mix of leopard, tropical prints, delicious floral embroidery, gold strap details and mermaid feels. Metallic sparkle and a nod-to-the-70's together with a large helping of British quirkiness reflect the spirit of the brand and make summer come alive!
Knicker Locker's Top Ten items to take to the beach:
- Swimwear - whatever takes your fancy!
- Beach towel - bright and tropical would be our style
- A Summer read - currently I am reading 'Eleanor Oliphant is completely fine' (I would highly recommend!)
- Suntan Lotion - protect yourself
- Sunglasses - taken off when sunbathing to avoid panda eyes!
- Water - keep yourself hydrated
- Beach cover-up - for those must-needs trips!
- Sun hat - we all love a good sunhat!
- Flip-flops - don't burn your feet!
- Lipbalm - with SPF to keep your lips soft and protected
My Top Picks!
I love this halter swimsuit by PIHA, it's called Garden Delight and even has a matching playsuit! The flower bouquets give the swimsuit a colourful and bright feel over the black background. It has a low V-neck plunge with gorgeous detail all down the seam and a trendy low style back. Shop Now>>
My second top pick is this gorgeous high neck crop bikini from Freya called Sundance - who wouldn't want to dance in the sun in this bold bright blue bikini! It screams summer and with the feminine crochet overlay and high neck, it's very Summer 2018! It also has light padded foam cups for shape and support and comes in other styles of bikini top and bottoms. Shop Now>>
SALE, SALE, SALE!
Don't miss Knicker Locker's current Summer Sale with up 60% off of selected lingerie, nightwear and swimwear.
Clear HERE to get sale savvy!
Be Happy, Be Healthy, Be You!
Love Stacey xx