Ahh Valentines Day, the one day a year where couples all over the world can celebrate their eternal love for one another. The thought of which, right now makes me feel grouchy and bitter - and I am seriously considering driving down to the nearest cattery and starting my decent into crazy forever alone cat lady...early.
So, although Valentines Day is thrust upon us once a year in a cloud of roses, candles and teddy bears, I'm just going to focus on the positives (like the half price chocolate that will be clogging up most shops on February 15th). ALSO, I will not just be focusing this blog on what people could be buying for their darling other halves, I am also going to focus on SELF LOVE, for those of us who can only treat ourselves, because why not?! If I want to lounge in my bedroom wearing silky pyjamas that nobody will see THEN I DAMN WELL WILL.
On a less scorned note, for those of you that are in the throws of romance, believe it or not, underwear is a great place to start as a gift. Unfortunately, there is a bit of a misconception with lingerie as an appropriate present, with many people experiencing wrong sizing, or knickers and bras that they would never in their life EVER wear, so it gets left at the back of a drawer and speaking from experience, it probably only comes out when the few glasses (bottles) of Pinot Grigio have hit and your inner sex goddess has reared her head. Because who can't navigate a million hooks and straps when they're drunk?!
HOWEVER, if done correctly, it can be a thoughtful and intimate gift that shows just how well you know your partner - just make sure you do your homework first. For example, if your partner has never worn or expressed an interest in a fishnet body stocking, maybe don't buy one. Follow Knicker Locker's guide to Buying Lingerie Gifts for more help and advice.
WHERE DID IT ALL COME FROM?
So, legend says it originated during the third century in Rome. During this time, Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers, (I think the same probably applied to rugby players, boxers and any other job that requires a high level of testosterone) - joking. SO he outlawed marriage for young men (bit harsh?). A young priest named Valentine was less than happy with this injustice and defied Claudius by continuing to perform marriage ceremonies for young lovers in secret. Claudius eventually discovered Valentine’s actions and sentenced him to death (not quite the fate of those who fail to buy their dearly beloveds a gift on Valentine’s Day, but evidently a lesson to be learned from history!).
During his time in jail, Valentine fell in love with his jailer’s daughter, who visited him in prison (tad cliche for me, but each to their own). Before he was put to death, Valentine sent a letter to the girl and signed it, “From Your Valentine”. He was then executed on February 14, 270 AD. Later, around 496 AD, Pope Gelasius declared February 14th a day to honor Valentine, who by that time had become a saint.
Not quite the romantic story I was expecting either.
Anyhow, on to the fun stuff!
GOODIES & GIFTS
Roses are red,
Vodka is strong,
Happy Valentines Day
Here's some really cool Hanky Panky Thongs!
I MEAN LOOK AT THEM. Aren't they adorable? They even come shaped as a rose!
The colour of love, passion and romance. A good solid choice if you want to keep to a traditional colour theme.
Apparently white is the colour for "a heart unacquainted with love". I would of said purity, innocent and all things angelic but hey ho!
Gratitude and appreciation is the meaning behind this colour. Which is what I'm sure most of you and your partners will be feeling after rocking around in a pair of these beauties.
Looking for something a bit more?...
The Ciao Bella bralette features stunning lace with a wide elastic band for a secure and comfortable fit. It has a low scalloped neckline (perfect for under a low cut dress?!) and edging for a fashionable style. Pair with the matching Tanga to really finish the look.
The Frivole Padded Balcony Bra is crafted with delicate two tone stretch lace and lattice edging for a luxurious style. It provides a push up shape and has three section foam inner cups for great rounded uplift. The rich merlot colour way makes for a sexy yet sophisticated look. Pair with the matching brief or short to complete the look.
CLICK HERE to discover more romantic gifts for her at Knicker Locker.
Nothing says love like Waxx, especially with these Eat Me Boxer Shorts. They are fun and delectable with naughty gingerbread men on the front. The perfect romantic gift for him.
CLICK HERE to discover even more romantic gifts for him at Knicker Locker.
TOP 5 ALTERNATIVE DATE IDEAS
1. Try out 'love' in a different culture - Every culture celebrates Valentines day a little differently. For example, in Japan, women give men chocolates on February 14th, while some parts of Britain serve buns baked with caraway seeds and raisins, or you could start your own tradition, if bun baking isn't your thing.
2. Volunteer for those in need of a little TLC - Valentine's Day is a celebration of love, so consider branching out from romance into charity and friendship. Perhaps send flowers to nursing home residents, or contact the local women's & domestic violence shelters to ask how you can best show love to those who live and work there. Baking goodies or sending letters of appreciation to caregivers can make all the difference for people who have suffered because of corrupted relationships.
3. Make something together - If your sick of giving AND receiving the same standard Valentine's Day gifts each year, then why not make this year the Valentine's Day where you create something cool together? Something you both like and with any luck, something that'll last way past February. Something that'll be an actual real symbol of your love and appreciation for one another (as opposed to a symbol of what was left at Clintons by the time you got there). Spend the night making something to embellish your home or make little presents and give them to each other.
4. Stay somewhere new - There’s something about staying somewhere different that is automatically exciting, but, luxury hotels are pricey at the best of times, let alone around V-Day. You don’t have to go miles away either. Why not try a boatel or a treehouse?. Or, if your feeling brave and want to get away from everyone else for some privacy, why not pitch a tent and camp for the night? Might be a tad nippy, but with body heat and small spaces it might not be so bad....you catch my drift?
5. Just have sex- Put your new underwear to the test! Why not?!
Most of all, have fun. If your in a loving relationship use this over commercialised day to show a bit of appreciation, even if it's not your thing. I mean, who else would put up with your snoring and duvet stealing nonsense? If your single, use it as a day to appreciate yourself, because you are the most important person and all the money you spend on someone else, can now be spent on you! Hooray!!
LOVE (A STILL SLIGHTLY BITTER) JESS X